3 September 2017
Old team mode is back!
- Re-released the old team mode as 'TDM (team deathmatch),' and renamed the newer team mode to 'Domination.'
- Added a server selection window to the selection screen. You can access it by clicking the settings cog button above the Play button. Simply click the green 'connect,' button next to the server you want to connect to, then press 'Play,' as normal.
- Implemented client performance improvements, crowded areas should be less laggy than they used to be.
- Normal grenades now damage user spawned (green) crates.
- Shrapnel from the fragmentation grenade no longer counts towards accuracy.
- Invincible players can no longer gain score in the domination game mode, (previously called team mode).
- The game now remembers your last selected game mode and will automatically select it when the page loads.
- Your username is now displayed in the top left corner on the respawn screen.
Please post to the subreddit or email us if you come across any bugs.
30 August 2017
Team mode changes
Instead of having one score square for teams to fight over, there are now four. The score squares change to the color of the team that occupies them. Teams are automatically awarded three points per second for every square their team occupies. That means that if your team occupies all four squares, every single person on your team will be awarded 12 points per second. Squares will return to neutral if no team members are inside them. They'll also turn to netural if players from both teams are inside it.
27 August 2017 - Team Games
- Removed point sharing from FFA score square, now only one player at a time can be awarded points from the FFA score square.
- Fixed bug allowing the chat box to be used outside of the game arena.
- Invincible players are no longer hurt by the fog.
- Multiple "You Killed," notifications will no longer stack on top of one another.
This is the first of a series of updates for the new team gametype. On the selection screen, above the Play button, there are two new buttons which allow you to choose a gametype, 'FFA' or 'Team.' When playing the new team game type, you'll be automatically assigned to a team, either red or blue depending on which has fewer players. You'll only be able to attack players on the opposite team. The leaderboard has been color-coded to show players' teams.
24 August 2017 - Chat System
22 August 2017
- Added an in-game chat mode. Press enter to bring up the chat window, press enter again to send.
- Reduced number of frag grenade shrapnel pieces by 8%.
- Decreased SMG bullet range by 7%.
- Decreased SMG bullet speed by 8%.
- Increased LMG bullet range by 7%.
- Increased LMG bullet speed by 5%.
- Fixed bug affecting the shotgun reload animation when the extended mags powerup was equipped.
- Improved reloading mechanism to avoid players having to spam the R key during intense firefights.
- Fixed bug allowing 'invincible' players to be damaged by gas.
- Fixed bug allowing landmines to continue damaging players indefinitely after exploding.
19 August 2017
- Fixed bug that allowed the reloading animation to be cancelled.
- Fixed user crate and medkit spawn bugs. The build and medkit perks should be more reliable now.
- Made armor regeneration rate the same for all armor types. They all regenerate at the same speed now.
- Made landmines despawn when owner is killed. They will still despawn when the owner disconnects, too.
- Decreased shotgun bullet range by 8%.
- Decreased machine gun bullet range by 12%.
- Decreased machine gun bullet speed by 16%.
- Increased pistol bullet damage by 20%.
- Increased SMG bullet range by 16%.
15 August 2017
- Added the top 5 user scores to the selection screen. These scores are reset daily (midnight every night UTC).
- Improved the dash powerup, you'll now dash in the direction you're facing instead of the direction you're travelling in. This should make movement a bit smoother.
- Slightly increased the amount of recoil from the LMG.
- Completed some serious backend server upgrades which should improve stability. These upgrades will also allow us to eventually introduce new game modes as well as NPCs such as sentry turrets, zombies, bosses etc.
- Added new Atlanta servers. We now have servers in Atlanta, Los Angeles and Frankfurt.
13 August 2017 - Name Change from battl.io to gats.io ...but why?
- Made some slight changes to the sniper bullet hit detection. Sniper bullets should now successfully collide with players at all angles.
- Added a loading screen which will appear while the game files are downloading. This should reduce connection errors on slow internet connections.
- Fixed bug where hit markers would constantly stay on the respawn screen HUD.
- Removed the top ad from the respawn screen and reduced the sizes of the other ads, this should help players with smaller screens.
A lot of players have messaged us asking about the name change. There are a number of reasons.
1) Battl.io is hard to pronounce, and upon hearing it people assume it’s spelled battle.io… this is a big problem. A large company has bought the domain battle.io and we are assuming they are developing their own game. There are also other iogames that have the term “battle” in their name. We want to distinguish ourselves from battle.io and other iogames that use the term battle.
2) Since launching the original beta version of the game it has changed immensely. A lot of people have said it feels like an entirely new game, and since the C++ build technically it is a completely new game. We think it deserves its own name.
3) There are a lot of google search problems with battlio, when searching for, 'battlio' you get a lot of results regarding army battalions etc, which from a technical perspective isn’t a great thing when you’re optimising yourself for search results.
4) We were never really happy with the name battl.io. When thinking of a name we had a few things we wanted to achieve: a) 4 letters or less b) easy to spell c) hard to mispronounce d) when you google it it’s the top results. Battl.io failed these criteria. That’s how we landed at gats.io (coupled with the fact that’s there’s not many 4 letter .io domains left available).
5) We want to carve out our own name. When people hear battl they think of a lot of things to do with the word battle: battles, battalions, historical battles etc. When people hear gats they’ll only think of our game.
6) At first, we had considered leaving battl.io unchanged, instead, focussing all further development on gats.io. However, this would mean that battl.io players would miss out on all future content. We decided against this idea because we felt like we would be abandoning our loyal fans, so instead, we've decided to redirect all battl.io visits to gats.io.
We've tried to make the transition as seamless as possible for our fans. Your battl.io login information can be used to log into gats.io, and all your game stats will be kept. Stats will continue to update as normal on gats.io, and they can be viewed at stats.gats.io/stat/score
If you have any questions or concerns about this change, please post to the subreddit or email us.
8 August 2017
- Replaced home page with a much more responsive design.
- Added a dedicated link for the featured YouTuber.
- Changed the in-game player colors to more neutral equivalents.
- Reduced the chances of getting stuck on the edge of crates.
5 August 2017 - New Powerups
- Fixed the icon positioning on the minimap. The score square and fog areas are also shown.
- Reduced the weight of the sniper class by 20%.
- Increased the maximum random range of frag grenade shrapnel by 30%.
- Fixed bug that allowed players to obtain points from self-inflicted grenade damage.
- Adjusted layout of the respawn screen.
- Added a 'confirm close' check if you try to close the browser window while logged in.
- Improved the authentication handling to reduce the chances of getting the, "Your account is already logged in," error message.
1 August 2017
- Added new second-tier explosive powerups. You can now use Land Mines, Frag Grenades, and Gas Grenades.
- Added a second-tier 'Dash' powerup that allows you to move very quickly for a short time.
- Made the ghillie/camo powerup a second tier powerup.
- Added a new first-tier powerup called 'Thermal.' When equipped, you can see the outline of silenced bullets, camouflaged players, and land mines.
- Added the ability to select third-tier powerups. Third tier powerups are unlocked at 600 points, and allow you to select another powerup from the first-tier selection.
- Selecting powerups is now a two-click process. You first have to click the new flashing upgrade icon on the hud to open up the powerup selection row. This will hopefully reduce accidental powerup selections.
- Small balance improvements will be made over the next few days.
- Players can no longer receive points from the score square while invincible.
- Increased the score required for the level 2 powerups from 250 to 300.
- Increased the pistol magazine from 8 to 16 rounds.
- Players' usernames are now displayed in game, making it much easier to recognise who is who.
We have some very exciting new powerups in the works, they should be out sometime this week.
30 July 2017
25 July 2017
- Added a temporary invincibility mode right after spawning. You'll remain invincible until you move or shoot.
- Increased movement speed with light, medium and heavy armor types.
- Increased the grenade's explosion delay slightly.
- Increased the amount of points given by the score square. Multiple players can now be awarded points at the same time, however points will be shared between players.
14 July 2017
- Replaced default, "Mystery Player" names with randomly assigned guest names. Your guest name is shown in the top left corner above the mini-map.
- Fixed bug where user's camo sometimes wouldn't display correctly.
- Fixed reload animation bugs.
- Fixed the enter game button sometimes not working.
- Added a second Frankfurt server.
- Fixed the password reset form. Password reset emails are now dispatched correctly.
13 July 2017
- The insta-death on spawn bug has been fixed.
- The leaderboard now updates normally while at the respawn screen.
- Newly loaded players are now drawn with their correct armor at the respawn screen.
- Players' full radius is now drawn while they're using the camo perk.
- Fixed bug that allowed players to shoot themselves.
- Newly loaded user crates (green ones) are now shown with the correct shade of green for the amount of HP they have left.
- Improvements have been made to the spawn system.
- Shooter's stats and loadout data is now displayed on the respawn screen in a special table.
- Players' end of life stats have been placed inside a similar table at the top of the respawn screen.
- Additional server speed and stability improvements have been made.
If the community likes the new stats tables on the respawn screen, we might also update the home/selection screen too. Behind the scenes, we've increased the amount of player stats that we're tracking. This will help us significantly with balancing the current and future weapons and powerups.
8 July 2017
- The 'fast-player' bug has been fixed.
- The HP of user-spawned crates has been increased from 500 to 1,000, this will be helpful for base building.
- User-spawned crates now change colour based on how much HP they have left. The darkest colour represents the highest HP, the lightest colour represents the lowest HP.
- The directional arrow keys can now be used to move.
- You can no longer accidentally select a new player colour while in game.
- The in-game damage and kill notifications are now automatically hidden when the respawn/spectator screen appears. This will make it much easier to view your final stats.
We're pretty thrilled with the performance of the game on the new C++ servers and we have a lot of new and exciting updates in the pipeline! Also we're in the process of updating Battlio's thumbnail that appears on iogames websites. We've put out an open request to the community on the subreddit. If you have any designs or ideas, feel free to submit them.
5 July 2017 - C++ Servers Released!
- The servers have been completely recoded in C++. This has created much faster and smoother gameplay.
- Game lobbies have been set to a maximum of 60 players per lobby (old limit was 12). This may be increased or decreased based on your feedback.
- The map now expands/shrinks as number of players in the server increases/decreases (The more players in the server, the bigger the map).
- The out-of-bounds areas of the map are covered with a poisonous fog which moves as the map resizes. Don't stay out there too long.
- On death, you'll go into a spectator mode and you'll be presented with your statistics for that life. These statistics are still recorded on the Stats Page with old statistics. Click the respawn button to go back to the selection screen.
1 May 2017
- Health now regenerates (slower than armor regeneration).
- There are no more map-spawned medkits.
- Powerup cool-down timer is now in sync.
- Heavier types of armor no longer increase player size.
- There is a two second cool-down on using the shield.
- Some map objects have had their sizes changed.
- The HUD flashes red when the player takes damage.
- Build powerup crates have been made smaller, this is so you can use them as cover while firing over them.
- A kill counter and simple gameplay instructions have been added to the HUD.
Over the last couple of weeks, we've been implementing changes that should solve some of the "Enter Game" bugs, and other connection issues players have been facing. It's not perfect yet, we're still troubleshooting some issues specific to Internet Explorer.
We've been making terrific progress with the new C++ servers, it's coming together. Based on some recent load tests, it's looking like the new servers will be able to support up to 100 players at a time without slowing down. This will allow us to implement all kinds of exciting game modes.
To our loyal fans who keep checking the changelog every day, we just wanted to say thanks for sticking with us!
14 March 2017
- Reduced player limit per server to 15.
- Added a minimum of 1-hour play time before a player can appear on the Score/Minute high scores stats page.
- Added a minimum of 100 kills before a player can appear on the Kill/Death high scores stats page.
Currently, the battl.io servers are written in Nodejs which performs okay with a small number of players, however, it slows down substantially as more players join. We're in the process of re-writing the entire battl.io server in C++. We're making solid progress, but it's taking some time. We apologise for the lack of game-updates. We expect that with C++ servers, we will be able to support more players with less computational slow down.
All player accounts and game stats will be preserved when the C++ servers are deployed.
1 March 2017
- Added stats page for the longest killstreaks.
- Added players' favorite loadouts to the player stats pages.
- Started tracking the score per minute stat, you'll be able to see it on the stats website within a day or two.
- Added a limit on how long player-spawned medkits appear on the ground.
- We're also still working on some serious upgrades to the game's engine. In time, the servers will be able to support many more players without slowing down.
We're aware that a number of users are having connection issues where the 'Enter Game' button doesn't appear. If you're having this issue, please open the game in Google Chrome and send us a screenshot of the top error rows in your Chrome's console log. It can be accessed by pressing F12, then clicking on the 'console' tab and scrolling to the top of the console error log.
27 February 2017 - Moved to beta
battl.io is now officially in beta! Over the last two weeks, players have played nearly 3000 hours, and helped us identify and fix many bugs. We appreciate all the help we've received! We still have a lot of work to do before a live production release, but here is what we've been working on over the last few days:
22 February 2017
- Improved server performance for smoother gameplay.
- Increased speed of pistol bullets by 25%.
- Began tracking players' longest killstreaks, they'll be posted on the stats website within a day or two.
- Also started tracking players' favorite powerups, you'll be able to see those on the stats website within a day or two as well.
20 February 2017
- Substantial improvements to server stability.
- Fixed player order on the leaderboard.
- Decreased player speed while holding shield.
- Added a 1-second delay on grenade explosions.
- Reduced engineer kit crate spawn cooldown timer by 33%.
- Fixed bug where players would be automatically moving/shooting immediately after respawning.
- Slightly increased diagonal movement speed.
19 February 2017
- Added changelog.
- Changed hosting providers, now using Vultr.
- Removed Sydney server, Australian players are now routed to Los Angeles or Frankfurt.
- Slight improvements to server stability, many more to come.
- Added Los Angeles and Chicago servers.
- Allowed players with 0 score to appear on the leaderboard.
- Added dynamic aiming system (you see a little further in the direction you're looking).